Thursday, May 18, 2006

Get Smarter - Let Your Mind Go Blank

I drive way too much, about 70 miles a day Monday through Friday. I liked riding the train better, I had time to sleep, read, listen to music, study for a class, think, or just stare out the window and let my mind go blank. While I spend the same time driving as I did on the train, and the cost is about the same, I really miss the train – I cant let my mind go blank doing 50 merging into traffic.
I find I drive way too fast as well, not that I’m an aggressive driver, nor a reckless one either, it’s just that at 5:30 am the prevailing speed on the Turnpike is about 80-85 mph – not too bad at all. I’m comfortable with that, I like to drive fast, the sooner I get to where I’m going the better.
I still miss the train, when I got off the train I could feel more refreshed, informed, calm. I think when I stopped riding the train is when I ran out of time to read, and that’s probably the worst part of all this. I liked reading on the train, I could go through a book in no time, now I’m lucky to read cnn.com for more than a few minutes at a time, or compose an entry for this blog. Good thing I take lunch at my desk – time to surf for my own enjoyment or edification.

I guess Miller was right in Repo Man, “The more you drive the less intelligent you are.” Maybe I need to find another job in the city so I can let my mind go blank and get smart again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lefty Lucy & Ry T. Tidy (Powered by Radio Zero) said...

You wrote:
I guess Miller was right in Repo Man, “The more you drive the less intelligent you are.”

I remember the moment of clarity I had when the sheer wisdom of that statement finally made itself apparent to me. It is so true.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home